Saturday, February 16, 2013

New projects for an old developer

I'm a developer.  I've been slinging code for several years now, mostly in the enterprise space.  I've designed, implemented, tested, and released several different large-scale enterprise products using .NET and the usual Microsoft stack including SharePoint.  I tell you this so that you'll understand what kind of work I do and I'm sure many of you are all too familiar with this same career or implementation process.

I've discovered recently that I am running out of challenges from a development perspective.  The business requirements that I see time and time again all contain complex business logic and validation, but the underlying implementation of such is relatively straight forward.  I need a more theoretical challenge.  Something that would require me to question my own assumptions about programming languages and to actually forge some kind of new territory.  My answer came in a realization from my past.  My Bachelor's degree was earned at Westwood college in Game Software Development.  This was my original dream, and for good reason.  I've decided to devote my personal development time to game development.  That is the purpose of this blog.  I will be detailing my dive back into that world along with all the pain points and all the triumphs.

As an exercise to refresh my knowledge and begin the process of reawakening my inner hardcore developer, I've decided to develop, from the ground up, a completely cross-platform game engine dubbed the Bad Monkey Game Engine.  The requirements of this are FAR to lengthy to enumerate here, however, I also plan to, in parallel, develop several small games with increasing complexity, using the engine as I go.  In this way, I will be forced to deal directly with every aspect of game development.  I've started a project over at Sourceforge.net to function both as the project distribution point as well as an offsite repository for my code.  Head over to https://sourceforge.net/projects/bmengine/ to see what has been done on the project so far.  I will be creating multiple sub-projects that will eventually become completely playable games built on top of the Bad Monkey Engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment